about the identity game
The idgame is a little idea I had around January 2006. I'm sure
it's not very original, but any bits of originality there may be, I
(Eric Kow) hereby
place under the creative commons attribution-sharealike license
Note: please help me find a name for this game!
The idea is to describe yourself in a list of word pairs. Each
word pair is an adverb followed by an adjective. The pairs are to
be sorted in alphabetical order according to their adjectives. I
try to keep the adverbs unique, but this may be a lost cause.
The game is to be played as a chain. On the bottom of this page,
there may be up to two links called "He is..." or "She is...".
These links point to the next players' version of the identity game
how to play
Setting yourself up:
- a simple text editor
- a place to put some web
pages and a css file
- copy these three files to your personal computer:
- make the following edits
- idgame.css: the style that you like
- describe yourself! (see the section
- comment out both the "He is..." and the "And he is..." links
- about.html: replace the section "i have 2/1 slot(s) remaining"
by "i have 2 slots remaining" and put up some contact info
- publish your page on the web - note that they will have to go
in a subdirectory
- contact any player with a free slot. Ask him to point one of
his slots to your page. Remind him to update about.html
with the number of slots he has remaining.
Note that this game does not neccessarily have to be played in
English! I'd appreciate it if you'd contact eric dot kow at gmail dot
com to let me know any interesting modifications you make to the
rules to make it fit your language
- remember that each entry in the list is to be an adverb and an
- avoid putting things that you are not, for instance, things like
"not greedy" or "very unlucky". Use sparingly, at least!
- try to make the adverbs unique each time. You may not succeed,
but try anyway.
- i tend to have a rather loose definition of "adjective". Please
don't throw any grammar books at my head.
- use spaces to put the adjectives into a column. This won't
affect how the page looks on your site, and it helps you sort it.
- this page is meant to evolve! keep adding or changing
descriptions over the years as you change or gain insight into
i have 1 slot remaining
And my contact info is
eric dot kow at gmail dot com
You can modify this game anyway you like, of course. But may I
suggest you limit the number of slots to 2? This is enough for
exponential growth and it keeps the page minimalistic.
Idea: maybe this could one day be incorporated into a personality
tagging system... each word in the game links to an automatically
constructed list of people that use the same word?
2006-01-14 to 2006-01-17